You can create a profile to personalize your identity on edX, and you can chose to share either a limited profile or full profile with other class participants.
Note: You must specify your year of birth on the Account Settings page before you can share a full profile. If you are under 13 years of age, you can share only a limited profile.
A Limited Profile includes:
- Only your username
- A profile picture (if you are over 13 years of age)
Note: If you are under 13 years of age, your limited profile only includes your username.
You cannot add a profile picture.
A Full Profile includes:
- Your full name
- Your username
- Your profile image (optional)
- The date that you joined edX
- Your language (optional)
- Your location (optional)
- Information about you (optional)
- Links to any course certificates that you have earned
- Links to your social media accounts (optional)
To add or update your profile #
- At the top of any page, select Dashboard from the dropdown menu icon next to your username, then select Profile. If you are already on your Dashboard page, select the Profile tab.
- In the header area of your profile page, for Profile Visibility, select Limited Profile or Full Profile.
- (Optional) Add a profile image.
Your image must be a .gif, .jpg, or .png file that is less than 1 MB in size. If you do not add an image, the placeholder image appears as your profile image.
- Move your cursor over the placeholder image, and click Upload an image.
- In the file navigation window, select the image file that you want to use as your profile image, and then click Open.
To change or remove your profile image, move your cursor over your image, and then select either Change image or Remove. When you remove your profile image, the placeholder image appears as your profile image.
- On your profile page, move your cursor over the information that you want to change.
- Click inside the field to choose an option from the list, or enter text.
The site saves your changes automatically.
Note: If you change your profile type from Full Profile to Limited Profile, your full name, location, language, and descriptive paragraph are no longer visible on your profile page. However, this information is saved and becomes visible again to other learners and course teams if you change your profile back to Full Profile.