Proctored exams are timed exams that you take while proctoring software monitors your computer’s desktop, webcam video and audio. The data recorded by the proctoring software is transferred to a proctoring service for review. Proctored exams may or may not be required for your course and enrollment track. If you are required to take a proctored exam for your course:
- You cannot take proctored exams using the edX mobile app
- You will need to install the proctoring software on your computer when you take the proctored exam.
- Before taking a graded proctored exam, you must have approved ID verification photos. You can submit ID verification photos here.
- At the start of the proctored exam, you must again verify your identity by taking a webcam photo of your face, your photo ID, and anything else the software needs to verify the exam environment.
- While you take the exam, you must follow edX’s proctoring rules and requirements. If your course exam has different rules, your course team will let you know.
- While you take the exam, the proctoring software monitors your computer, including any software that is running, and streams the exam data to the proctoring software via the cloud. The software also records video and audio from your webcam.
After you end your exam, the exam session is reviewed by the proctoring service. You will usually receive results within 5 days of submitting the exam, however reviews may take longer if there is heavier than usual volume or if your exam requires course team review.
To be eligible for course credit, you must pass the exam and also receive a Satisfactory result for the proctoring review.
Proctoring Software: #
Proctoring services on edX are supplied by either of the two 3rd party vendors: Proctortrack or Software Secure. Please read your course material carefully to identify which proctoring software the course uses. Each course can only use one proctoring software for all of its proctored exams. If you need help identifying proctoring software, please contact your course administrators or edX Support.
Computer System Requirements #
You must have a working webcam, and we recommend 1GB of free space on your machine.
View the detailed System Requirements for Software Secure proctoring software.
View the detailed System Requirements for Proctortrack proctoring software.
Getting Ready #
It is strongly recommended to follow the instructions on Guide: Get Ready for a Proctored Exam to start your proctoring preparation today.